Getting familiar with the characteristics of Big Rigs
Given the fact that commercial big rig trucks are heavy trucks that are larger than the standard pickup seen on the road, there is a need to have a general overview of commercial big rig trucks with the aim of understanding its nature, features, and characteristics.
In the light of the above, this piece focuses on the general peculiarities of commercial big rig trucks with the aim of unraveling crucial pieces of information that will promote effective and efficient use of big rig trucks. More fundamentally, the commercial big rig trucks are often used to haul various commercial goods from one place to another. In the same vein, they are essentially useful towards promoting hitch-free business activities among companies. It should be noted that the big rigs or 18-wheelers are majorly known as commercial trucks. In addition, there are other numerous types of commercial trucks like tanker trucks, large freight trucks, cement trucks, tractor-trailers, and delivery vehicles. Interestingly, the large trucks with an attached trailer are very helpful in hauling freight.
More often than not, five blocks of loading docks can be packed with big rigs wheel to wheel and can be used to convey freight to and from.
Types of Commercial Big Rig Trucks
Against the backdrop of the fact that commercial big rig trucks come in different types and classes, below are some of the notable big rig trucks;
This is one of the fairly common commercial big rig trucks. More often than not, the dump truck is often seen on commercial construction sites and anywhere else with large loads of dirt, rock, and soil need to be moved.
It is fundamental to know that, cement mixers are trucks with a huge cylindrical shape on the back.
It may be categorically stated that tractor-trailer is, more or less, the commonest type of truck. This type of truck is often called Big Rigs or Eighteen Wheelers.
The Flatbed trucks are often used for logging or transporting lumber. More specifically, this type of truck is capable of conveying heavy loads but not fluids.
The tanker trucks often sport a long tube on the back in place of a trailer and are designed to carry liquids or fluids. It is a truism that the most common type of tanker is an oil truck. They are often used by petroleum companies.
As the name connotes, the Refrigerator truck refers to grocery store chains and food manufacturers. The refrigerator trucks are often used to transport frozen goods and foods that need to be chilled while in transit.
Bearing in mind that every municipality needs someone to pick up trash and take it to the dump, the garbage truck is designed to do the trick.
These super-heavy beasts are designed to transport heavy loads too large for roads unless an escort is involved. Drivers often require special permits to operate these big bad boys.
The Benefits of Commercial Big Rig Trucks
Knowing full well that commercial big rig trucks are very useful, their benefits can be derived in the following forms:
- Manufacturing cost
- Given the fact that commercial big rig trucks are useful in multifaceted forms, its manufacturing process for conventional trucks is significantly more advantageous and straightforward than cab-over style production. With regards to the benefits of big rig trucks, it correspondingly keeps production costs and times relatively low. Owing to the fact that big rig trucks have the more accessible engine and less compact structure, it is much less complicated to produce relative to the cab-over style, resulting in a saving of tens of thousands of dollars for the customer.
- More comfortable interiors
- One of the beauties of big rig trucks is that they are imbued with exclusive interiors that make it comfortable for resting. More fundamentally, some US trucks tend to boast impressively large interiors to ensure the comfort of their drivers. No doubt, many conventional trucks are capable of accommodating one or more bunks, as well as additional conveniences such as microwaves, TV’s, fridge freezers and toilets.
- Better on rough terrain
- It is worthy of note that, conventional American truck is correspondingly well equipped to deal with the conditions of rough terrain. Most trucks have rugged designs that enhance them to surmount the challenge of trucking on any glacial landscape. To this end, the surrounding framework will enable conventional truck style to drive for a longer period without incident, and it is less likely to break down on a range of challenging terrains.
- Easier to maintain
- It should be noted that the straightforward layout of the conventional truck means that engines are generally more accessible and easier to tinker with, being distinctly separate from the driver’s cab and in their own spacious compartment.
- Smooth Loads Conveyance
- There is no gainsaying that commercial big rig trucks are fundamentally useful for the movement of goods/loads from one place to another. In addition, the easy conveyance of heavy loads is, by far, the greatest advantage of the commercial big rig truck.
Tips on Commercial Big Rig Trucks
The following are crucial facts and tips about commercial big rig truck. These include, but not limited to;
- Hunt for a qualified truck salesperson
- In an attempt to procure a commercial big rig truck, it is incumbent on you to look for someone who is not only knowledgeable in the business but trustworthy and reliable. More importantly, a former mechanic or a trucker can be a preferred choice.
- Assess Fuel Mileage
- It is important to note that the fuel mileage is a great factor to be considered in the course of getting or maintaining a commercial big rig truck. This hinges against the backdrop of the fact that the cost of diesel is relatively cheap. Nonetheless, a fuel-efficient engine does not imply a reliable performing engine.
Thus, you need to inquire what engine has a history of reliability and performance In the light of the foregoing, other tips to be noted include;
- Choose long-lasting SPEC, not SPEC of the month
- Opt for personally desirable design elements
- Choose Versatile Specifications